The Group was founded over ninety years ago by the 'Cavaliere del Lavoro' Gaetano D'Alesio, whose sons, Antonio and Nello, continue to run the Company with the support of the third generation, Gaetano, Antonio, Mauro and Francesco.
The Group's business is the maritime transport and its services.
The Group owns and operates storage terminals in the Port of Livorno handling petroleum products and bunker products.
The D'Alesio Group fleet covers a wide range of commercial needs, with tankers ranging from 2,000 up to 40,000 DWT granting high technical and safety standards.
Looking for new horizons for over ninety years
The D'Alesio Group was founded in 1930 by the "Cavaliere del Lavoro" Gaetano D'Alesio. At the age of eighteen the young Gaetano, whose father Antonio from Torre del Greco was Master of small vessels dedicated to coral fishing, started his business as customs agent. During the Second World War he added the construction of fishing boats to his business, his very first move into shipping.
In 1947 Gaetano signed an order for a small 70-ton tanker, named Splendor, at the Orlando Shipyard in Livorno. The vessel was then employed with fuel shipment to Sardinia. In the early 1950s, during a visit to Genoa, Gaetano was impressed by the local refinery and its oil tanks in the mountains. He had the idea of doing the same in the Port of Livorno. The first oil tank in his terminal was purchased from the U.S. Army leaving Italy. Over the time, the storage terminal became one of the most important of west coast Italy with a total capacity now reaching 200.000 cbm.
From generation to generation
In 1965 his young sons Antonio e Nello joined the Company
strongly developing shipping activity and bunkering in the Port of Livorno. Starting from three ships in 1965 to 10 vessels in 1975 and crew members employed went from thirty to two hundred.
The 90's marked the beginning of the company's major transformation. The third generation joined the management team of the "D'Alesio Group". The 100,000-DWT flagship, Gaetano D'Alesio, was ordered and fixed on Time Charter to Exxon for 11 years. The double hull Italian flag Aframax vessel was employed on consecutive lightering services with VLCC in the Gulf of Mexico. The fleet continued to grow with additional new buildings: 3 product tankers, Liliana D'Alesio, Francesco D'Alesio and Calafuria, ordered at Fincantieri Livorno plus one ordered at Fincantieri Ancona and named Antonio D'Alesio.
A mayor vessel replacement schedule started in the 2000 with the sale of older tonnage and new building orders at Hyundai Mipo South Korea, Gemak Shipyard Turkey and Sicily. In 2010, the D'Alesio Group was awarded "Tanker operator of the year" by the Lloyds List Italian Shipping Awards.
Today, our tailor made tankers are mainly employed on the Mediterranean basin with particular attention to the Italian cabotage.
The "Cavaliere" Gaetano D'Alesio
"Cavaliere del Lavoro" Gaetano D'Alesio passed away peacefully in 1996, at the age of 84,
having had the satisfaction of seeing his grandchildren joining the Company.